Sunday, February 28, 2016

Baby boy is 5!

Today was a day I've been thinking about for a long time. The day my baby turned 5. In all my married life, I've never gone so long without a new baby. And he will be going to Kindergarten in just a few short months and my life will never be the same again. It's rather momentuous, and kind of hard to wrap my head around. It's rather strange to realize that I've truly moved past the child-bearing part of my life.

Anyway, today was James' 5th birthday. Since he was born at 6:45 a.m. he was already 5 by the time he woke up today. After Stake Conference we had Ford, Shiala and Kami over for dinner and donuts. Per tradition, James chose our big meal for the day, tin foil dinners. Here he is enjoying his own creation.
yum!

The local Welch tribe
After dinner, we lit the candles on the donut 'cake' and then opened gifts. When we began this part of the party James immediately covered his ears. He does not like to be sung to. This year it also took quite a bit of coaxing for him to actually blow out the candles. I thought they would melt completely before he put his hands down and blew them out. But he finally decided to do it, thank heaven.
watching Nina light 'em up

Kami had no qualms about the singing, unlike James

debating whether to blow or not...

opening his card from Grandma and Grandpa Welch

Loving the 'gift' he found inside!

a fun light-up spinning candy/toy from Ford and Shiala.
He always wants one when we go to Maverik, but I never let him get one!

This shirt was perfect for him! and it came with a RC dinosaur. 

Lucky boy's goodies

After we ate goodies, Allie brought up a gift from Grandma B…some cool rocks from the Fort, $5 and a rubber band pistol...

"Take a picture of my dinosaur, Mom!"
I was really aiming for the cute face behind it!
James came as a surprise to our family, but what a gift he has been. He has kept us hopping and wondering how we'll survive him at our advanced ages. He is a very smart, capable boy and we look forward to watching his life unfold. James, we sure love you and are thankful that you came to our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment