Friday, March 04, 2016

Life recently

Just a post of random happenings in my life...
A painting we found at Burlington Coat Factory for our bedroom..
I decided a few years ago that I needed a painting of a rowboat to put in my bedroom. It ties into one of my favorite songs that deals with marriage. It's called "Will You Row With Me?" and is written by Lynn Perry Christofferson and sung by Jenny Jordan Frogley and John McVey. I love the beautiful analogy of marriage as rowing a boat…
One line says, "There's no motor on this boat, no sail to catch the wind that's blowing, the only way to stay afloat is by two willing people, slowly rowing." And another that I love is "If ever we should start to drift, uncertain where our boat is going, there's no need to abandon ship, but just resume our slow and steady rowing." Oh, if only people understood that's how marriage works! 
Anyway, I decided that I wanted to use the rowboat analogy as decor in my bedroom, so I have been looking for a rowboat painting and this one was perfect, even down to the colors! Now I need to put some of the lyrics on a canvas and hang them up. I'm so excited!!
Here are the full lyrics because I want to preserve them and pass them on to my descendants as my marriage counsel! And here is a link to a Youtube video of it...https://youtu.be/4PBr-BYnudA

Will You Row With Me
by Lynn Perry Christofferson
Sung by Jenny Jordan Frogley and John McVey

Will you row with me? Shall we cross the sea together?
Will you go with me on a voyage that will last forever?
Will you sit there by my side, take an oar, and start to pull and glide?
Are you ready for the ride? Will you row with me?

Oh, there's no motor on this boat, no sail to catch the wind that's blowing. 
The only way to stay afloat, is by two willing people slowly rowing.

Will you row with me? Shall we cross the sea together?
Will you go with me on a voyage that will last forever?
It may take some time to grow accustomed to the ebb and flow, still I'm hoping you will go.
Will you row with me?

If ever we should start to drift, uncertain where our boat is going,
There's no need to abandon ship. We'll just resume our slow and steady rowing.
Will you row with me?

This isn't a race, so there's no need to be in a hurry,
As long as we can row together it will be a thrilling journey.

Will you row with me? Shall we cross the sea together?
Will you go with me on a voyage that will last forever?
Oh, I need to know. Will you go with me on a voyage? 
Will you row?


Spent some time in Feb working at the Book Fair during Parent Teacher Conferences. That's one of my usual volunteer gigs at the elementary school. Maybe once James is in school I can be more involved. Or maybe not. We'll see.



Had to bust out the sewing machine and repair the knees in lots of jeans. Hopefully, they will last to the end of the school year. Then we can cut them off for shorts! I really don't like sewing. As the daughter of a Home Ec teacher, that's blasphemous, but it's true. So I rarely sew, unless it's expedient, which this was. Sew or buy new jeans? That was the question. Sewing won this time!



I've found that with the advent of my smart phone and the ability to read blogs and play games, I just don't read books as much as I used to. I hate that. So I went to the library and I found this book. I have read and loved all of Tony Hillerman's Navajo novels and was sad when he passed away. But it looks like his daughter has taken on his characters and this is the first of her books. And I liked it a lot! I thought she did a great job with it. I loved that it was from a female officer's perspective this time. Maybe I'll start reading paper and ink again! 

I wish I knew some of what my ancestors had liked, spent their time doing, or thought deep thoughts about. So, this is random but maybe someday, someone will find it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment