Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Reflecting

Recently, I read the whole blog called Cling To Courage, written by Mari, who lost her husband to pulmonary embolism in 2014. I had found her blog shortly after her husband, Charles, passed away and read the current posts. For some reason last fall, I felt that I needed to reread those posts and as I read, I felt like I should back-read her whole blog to get a better sense of her story.

As I reread her posts outlining Charles' last day, I was filled with gratitude that my story with pulmonary embolism turned out so differently. I am thankful to still be here on this earth to raise my children and see them move on with their own lives. I did not experience the horrible pain she described him having. In fact, I felt sort of silly going in to the doctor because I was sure they would tell me it was gas, to go home and take some antacid. I remember thinking as they drove me in the ambulance to the airport for the flight to Provo, that I just didn't feel bad enough to be in a life and death situation. I am thankful, after reading her story, that I was spared that pain.

As I have reflected on my experience compared to Charles' experience I came to one conclusion. I was told by my doctor after finishing up my regimen of Warfarin or Coumadin, that I should take a baby aspirin every day to help keep my blood a bit thinner. I bought one bottle and took most of it before deciding, (consciously?), that I didn't need it. But I have felt impressed that I need to begin doing that again. So I've bought another bottle of baby aspirin and I've been very diligent to take one every day.

You never know when your time is at an end. But I want to try to do what I can to live as healthily as possible while I'm still here. I know that if Heavenly Father wants to call me home, a baby aspirin a day is no obstacle for Him, but I will do what I can to prevent another clot or embolism from happening. It's just not worth the risk, when a small daily dose can help keep my blood thin. I have also been told that if I ever have another clot or embolism that I will be put on Coumadin for life. I DO NOT want that. Baby aspirin is now my friend.

Good Things:
Sunshine
Heaters that work
Children who love and care for their siblings

No comments:

Post a Comment