Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Octubre!

Wow, I can't believe how quickly time is passing by. I want to make a more diligent effort to post frequently, but it's hard because my computer died and M takes the laptop to school and DH takes his to work. I usually get a few minutes on the computer a couple of evenings a week. I'll just have to remember to blog when I do get some computer time.

I think things are going better with homeschool. The girls aren't complaining so much anymore about being bored and they are finding things to do when there is time for them to do so. DH and I sat down with each of them last night and had them write down a few things they would like to work on and learn in the next month or two. Now they can just pull out that sheet when they are looking for something to do.
Today C started putting together a babysitting kit for herself. She won't be 12 until next Sept, but she's really excited about being able to babysit. She has decorated a box and filled it with lots of fun things. She'll be a great babysitter, she is very good with children.
S wanted to learn about animals and she loves to draw so she decided that she would like to make a book about animals and illustrate it. Today she cut up some paper sheets and stapled them together and drew about 15 animals in it. We need to spend some time gathering the written information for her to put in it. Must be time to visit the library again.
H decided that she would like to read more of Shakespeare's works. I do have a Lamb's Tales, which is a simplified version of some of Shakespeare's plays, which I am going to have her start reading. That will kill two birds, learning more about some of his works and getting some reading in. I think I'll also encourage her to do some oral reports on them as she finishes each one.
I am feeling so good about what is taking place here. They are starting to be more helpful around the house and I am starting to enjoy having them around me as I work. I have enrolled them in a club called The Princess Academy. It is a book review/service activity club hosted by Donna G. Last week was our first meeting and we all gathered and got acquainted and had a nice potluck lunch. I had told the girls how I needed the morning to go so that we could get there on time, and I was absolutely shocked when they all got up, ate, & got in the tub together. Then they got dressed in their dresses, fixed their hair and helped me with the veggie tray we were taking. They were then ready to do some reading so we could finish up Little House on the Prairie which was our discussion book for the month. It thrilled me to the core to see them step up and do what needed to be done without ONE, SINGLE, SOLITARY word from me that morning. There is hope!

In other news, my oldest son, J, was made an elder a couple of weeks ago and is attending missionary prep classes. I hope he has enough money to go on his mission in Feb. He also received word last week that his Eagle Scout project was accepted by the BSA and we will be having an Eagle Scout Court of Honor soon. It's nice to see him becoming such a fine young man.

The other boys are doing great in school. We had P/T conferences last week and got good reports. If they will keep up with the assignments, they will have a terrific year. They each have a wonderful teacher. Looked up info on Driver Ed and learner permits for M. We need to get him going on that soon. He's not too excited, but I need to have another driver after J leaves.....I enjoy having someone other than myself to run errands.

JS is growing up so fast. He is an absolute joy to us. He keeps us laughing and smiling at his funny words and deeds. He has really begun to talk a lot and it sure is nice being able to understand him. He got a bike recently and he loves to ride it outside. He loves books, cars and tractors, and boxes. He recently was playing with Duplo blocks and made a gun. He's definitely a boy!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your pleasant morning with your girls. I guess it has happened once or twice around here, but the naggless mornings are far and few between. 2 of my kids are born dawdlers.

    Wow, I can't believe your oldest is almost ready to go on a mission. Craziness!!

    Good to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete