Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Leadership Education


In the last few months I've made some pretty dramatic changes in the way I look at education and my role in it as a parent. I made the choice to withdraw my girls from a private school where they had been attending for 2 years and bring them home to home educate them. In the midst of trying to determine what in the world I was doing, I did tons of reading and online research of different philosophies of home education. I found things that I liked in each philosophy but wasn't sure which direction to go. Then I read "A Thomas Jefferson Education" by Oliver DeMille and found there the guiding priniciples that 'spoke' to me, allowing me to pull from the different philosophies what felt 'right' to me and incorporate all of them into our home education adventure.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Shanon Brooks, who is the CEO of George Wythe College, which was founded by Oliver DeMille. The college is expanding and building a new campus in my hometown on land that was once owned by my parents and this was an opportunity to gain a greater understanding of what the college is about and how it will impact my hometown. I was so motivated and inspired by what I heard, and if I could I would sign myself up as a freshman today! But since that is not possible, what I can do is to begin to educate myself so that I am better prepared to guide my children as they start on their own education journies. One of the keys to a Thomas Jefferson Education is to "Inspire, not require!" and that is what I came away from that seminar feeling like I needed to focus on. If I undertake to educate myself and share my excitement about the learning process and what I am learning, it can't help but inspire my children to want to learn, too!

Off I go!

6 comments:

  1. I have a lot of admiration for people who homeschool. One of my favorite moms, who I consider a mentor, is a homeschool mom of 7 children who are brilliant, well-mannered, and well-rounded. Best of luck in your journey to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Inspire, not require!"

    That is an excellent thought to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about the Thomas Jefferson Education, but don't know much about it. I do like the quote "Inspire, not require!" That is so very true. Good luck on your homeschool journey. I do hope you are able to accomplish your goals and missions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your decision to homeschool, and even more importantly on finding something that will work for you and your family.

    Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you hear him speak? Did you go to a seminar?

    Guess what? I'm speaking at the Forum next March in Salt Lake. You have to go and then take your whole family to the Ball that night. It is an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading "A Thomas Jefferson Education" really opened my eyes too. How lucky for you to live so close to all that!

    ReplyDelete