Saturday, February 10, 2007

I have to be the world's dumbest blogger....

I have been feeling really bad because no one ever left me any comments on my blog and wondering if I was such an incredibly boring blogger that no one had anything to say. Then today for some reason I had to go to my dashboard to change the language from Spanish back to English (don't ask how it got changed to Spanish, I have no idea) and saw that I had lots of comments that had to be moderated to be posted. And it was so fun to read them and realize that someone has actually read this silly blog.

So, thanks to all of you who left me comments and I promise to look for them more often.
There, now I feel better!

So I really sort of slacked off on SMART Habits. I think my brain only functions half the time and for some reason those things I've wanted to work on don't cross my mind like they should.

I am still trying to organize and I cleaned off the dresser in my room, hung up some pictures I've been meaning to do for years, moved the baby's crib and dresser to make more room in our room for them and put more clothes in the new tubs I bought getting rid of the old, raggedy cardboard boxes.

I did get three sessions of exercise in this week. That was great! That kick-boxing was killer-I'm still sore and I'm sure it was hilarious to watch.

I also did research online to gather information on some of the 'skills' I'm trying to 'store' up. I have added to my list and I've divided it into three areas:

Food:
*Cheese making-have recipes, need to practice
*canning-need to get a new pressure canner and gather more bottles, practice canning meat
*sourdough-found a place to get a free start from some 150 year old starter and will be sending for that this week so I can learn to make bread from it
*Honey Candy-(this is a family tradition that will die if I don't learn to do it. Of my grandma's 10 children only two currently make it; my mom and my uncle. I don't want to let this die, so I'm going to learn to make and stretch it properly)
*Dutch oven cooking-have oven and recipes now just need nice weather so we can practice
*Pickles-no info here but I want to try to make some this year

Yard/Garden:
*composting-lots of info, this week I found a good article on building compost bins
*Veggie gardening-Need more info on raising potatoes and onions and how to stake up tomatoes
*Fruit/vines-want to learn more about raising fruit and grapes and berries. Need to check with the extention office for info for Ut Co.
*Root cellar-Found a good website with info on all these 'old-fashioned' things that our forebears had to know to survive. The Old-Timer's Page. I would like to build a small one, if I thought we were going to be here at this house forever.....
*Harvesting and storing seed-found a good article about harvesting wildflower seed and how to clean and store them. Need to find info for vegetables.

Home:
*Pattern making-Found a neat system online called The Lutterloh System that I think would work well and for the price it would work for our entire family. Pondering purchasing this just for preparation's sake
*Hand stitching-need to practice my hand stitching. If I had to make clothing and stitch it by hand I'm not sure it would stay put together.
*Quilting-pretty much the same idea here. Maybe make a wall-hanging to practice piecing on.
*Knitting-I have learned many times, but can't ever remember how. Need to get needles and some stitch guides. I want to start this one right away.

And I finally downloaded some pictures and I'll post them here when I figure out how to get them from my photoshop album. Like I said, I AM the world's dumbest blogger.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you found your comments, that was probably a huge relief to you :)!!

    It sounds like you are making some SMART progress. Good luck with all you want to accomplish this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you figured it out! I read your blog a few times and thought, "I know I left a comment here already!" You know you can turn moderation off so the comments automatically appear?

    It's good to see you back at SHS. Just keep working on your habits. I easily forget mine until I've done them for a few days or weeks! It gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is quite a list you have there. I admire you for wanting to learn so many great skills. I'd be happy just to learn how to sew.

    Hope you are doing well with your habits this week!

    ReplyDelete