Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Saving a book!

I picked up this book at the library sale. I've been wanting it for my personal library for a while, so when I saw it there I snagged it. 
But the binding was falling apart and the pages were coming out of the book. 
I knew I had to do something to preserve it and so I started searching the internet for ideas on how to save a paperback book. 

Here you see the pages coming loose...
I found instructions for Japanese book making and decided that that would be the easiest, least expensive way to try to save this book. I began by removing each page from the old glue binding.
Removing the pages from the binding. Felt strange to tear pages from a book.
Then I removed the spine part of the cover and kept the front and back covers. I poked 4 holes through the covers and pages in the recommended places according to the instructions. Then I used a length of dental floss and reassembled the book, following the directions.

Here you see what it looks like inside the book...
I was not as satisfied with the dental floss as I wished. It has a bit of give and it slips off the ends when the book is opened. My intention is to find some thicker, stronger twine and rethread it, but it's not high priority right now.
I am happy that the book is in one piece and can be used with care and I'm thrilled to have found a way to inexpensively save books that seemed doomed.

Good Things:
Christmas Movies as a family
Reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever as a family
More snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment