Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Playing Little House on the Prairie

I was trying to make the boys some lunch on Halloween day and I could not get the stove to light. I wondered if Curtis had forgotten to pay the Questar bill. We microwaved something for lunch and when I texted Curtis I found out that the entire town had no natural gas service. 
Thus began our exciting 'Little House on the Prairie' adventure. 
We went on through our day, waiting hopefully for it to be restored. I had plans to make mummy pizzas for dinner. But after we got back from trick-or-treating it was obvious that wasn't going to work. I told the kids we'd go to Taco Time. Guess what? no gas for them either. We ended up at home microwaving something to eat. Again.
Curtis was gone on a football trip to Rich and so that night I brought everyone into my room where we just ran the one electric heater. It was a little crazy but I felt better knowing everyone was warm. 
The next day we had to dress very warmly and we moved the little electric heaters into the area where we were so it wasn't too bad. We again just ate what we could nuke or eat cold. We all slept in our own beds the second night and Curtis got home around 2 am. 
At 8 am on Saturday morning, there was a knock at the door and there were the Questar heroes, here to get us back up and running with natural gas heat. 
It's amazing how it just takes a few hours without a utility to realize how blessed(spoiled) we are and how much we take these things for granted. I need to be more resourceful and know what I need to/can do to care for my family's needs if such a situation were to become permanent.

Good things:
Warm bedding and blankets
Warm clothing
An electric water heater! No cold showers.

A view of our 'cabin'


also known as Mom and Dad's room

No comments:

Post a Comment