Sunday, May 06, 2012

Simple or Prudent?

For quite a few years now I have had the goal to 'simplify' my life. To stick to the basics and not get caught up in the craziness that our society deems necessary.
One night as I was reading my scriptures I started reading through Proverbs. Some verses started catching my eye.
Proverbs 14:8  The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit.
Proverbs14:18 The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with knowledge.
Proverbs 15:5  A fool despiseth his father’s instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
Proverbs 16:21  The wise in heart shall be called prudent
Proverbs 18:15 The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.
Proverbs 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.

I acknowledge that I am taking these verses out of context, but the term prudent really stuck out to me. And when I saw it in contrast to the term simple(which seemed to be equated with fool) I began to wonder if I have been attempting to reach the wrong goal.

Prudent is defined in Webster's 1828 dictionary as: 
PRU'DENT, a. Cautious; circumspect; practically wise; careful of the consequences of enterprises, measures or actions; cautious not to act when the end is of doubtful utility, or probably impracticable.

The prudent man looketh well to his going. Prov.14.
A prudent man foreseeth the evil and hideth himself. Prov.22.
1. Dictated or directed by prudence; as prudent behavior.
2. Foreseeing by instinct; as the prudent crane.
3. Frugal; economical; as a prudent woman; prudent expenditure of money.
4. Wise; intelligent.

It seems to me that prudent is actually what I want to be, to become and to be descriptive of my life. 
To be knowledgeable, wise, frugal, to understand, to forsee evil and escape punishment. That is what I want.
I think I may need to change that word on my kitchen wall from Simplify to Prudent! 


No comments:

Post a Comment