Friday, October 27, 2006

HAUNTED!! That's how I've been feeling for a couple of days now. Not in the way that is obvious, but by some words I read the other day. I was working in Sadie's kindergarten class checking in the kids homework. Some of the kids were missing part of their work so I went to their backpacks to see if I could find any papers and in one of them I found a large pile of papers. I pulled them out to see if this child's homework was in there and as I glanced at one of them, obviously written by an adult, not a kindergartner, a line or two caught my eye. It said,"I'm sorry you don't like our house, or like our furniture. I wonder sometimes if you even like me. I guess that I haven't been the best husband, father or provider that you expected.... " I quickly put it away and didn't read any more, but I am haunted by those words because in truth, they could have been written by my own husband. I can't count the number of times that I have complained about those same things, either to him or to others. I realize now that by doing that I am essentially telling him that he is a lousy husband and provider. That is the last thing that I want to tell him. I know how hard he works to provide for this family, and what a wonderful father and husband he truly is. In my heart I know that no house, no amount of $$ and no other thing in this world would ever make up for having a poor marriage or a disinterested father for my children and that I am actually RICH beyond my wildest dreams. I feel badly that I read a part of some one's private conversation, but it was unintentional and I put it away as soon as I realized what it was. But I look at it as a wake-up call for myself. No more thoughtless comments will come from me on this subject. I want to be supportive and sustaining to my husband, even when he is not present, rather than saying and doing things that diminish him and his self-worth. He is priceless to me and I need to treat him as such. I hope that I am forever haunted by these words....so that I will never make that mistake again.

1 comment:

  1. Very good advise. It does so much damamge to a marriage to speak badly of a husband, even to other people. The negativity eats away and you, with some help from Satan. We all have bad or negative feelings occassionally, but it's how we respond to those feelings that matter. I like you, am trying very hard to count my blessings in everything I see. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete