Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Finally!

Need a surefire way to get some volunteer hours in at the school your children attend?
Volunteer to help sew Shakespeare costumes! After all, you can do them at home!
No matter that you don't have the correct instructions or that the fabric is really fabric intended for furniture, you'll be able to get those hours in, remember????
After finally tracking down the correct instructions and spending a few hours sewing, unpicking, sewing, unpicking and sewing and then sewing some more (by hand), these dresses(?) are FINALLY done! I am not a dunce when it comes to sewing, (except putting in zippers, huh, Mom?) but honestly, it is really helpful to have the right set of instructions. I could not figure out the ones I was given, seemed some pages were missing. I even went to the school and looked at the original and it was still just as confusing. I got a thought, not my own I'm sure, to go to WalMart and look in another pattern to see if we had a page missing. Lo and behold, we just had a misprinted instruction sheet that had one side of instructions for a completely different pattern than the one we were trying to sew. Didn't notice the discrepancy in the pattern numbers until I compared the two sheets at WalMart.
What to do? Didn't want to buy another pattern just for that sheet. Another idea!! Get my digital camera from the car and take a quick picture of the correct instructions. Whew! Problem solved.

Really, things went much better after I got the proper instruction sheet! Really!!

Well, except for the unpicking and resewing! But hey, that's the way I sew....

1 comment:

  1. Those are great costumes!! It's things like this when I wish I had girls to sew for, though my boys loved their Greek costumes I made. I really ought to sew more for myself, but I sew and unpick a lot too. I also don't do zippers!

    ReplyDelete