Sunday, November 30, 2014

What would a holy woman do?

I have been a reader of Shannon's blog for a long time. She has some amazing helps for studying scriptures and teaching. I read this post at the beginning of this year and decided to also read the book she spoke of and focus on becoming a more holy woman this year. I printed off her posters and placed them around my home in places where I would see them often.

At first, I really did think about how I was doing things as I went through my day. Was I mothering in a more holy way? Was I serving my family with holy intentions rather than grudgingly, out of duty? Was I serving in my calling in a more holy way? Was I being a better daughter, sister, friend, wife, neighbor?

However, I noticed as the year went on and I became accustomed to the signs, I noticed them less. They became part of the 'landscape' and as I noticed them less, I put less thought into my actions. I think the one that helped me the most was having a picture of this as the screensaver on my phone. I saw it every time I looked at my phone. I should probably put it back. 

I am thankful for the introspection and intentionality I had at the beginning of the year and I think it's been a very worthwhile experiment. I need to try to continue it because after all, what do I want more than to be like my Savior and my Heavenly Father? I want to rejoin them more than anything. I need to think daily about how my actions reflect that desire and make necessary changes to realign myself with that goal. 

None of us will be perfected in this life, but we must work towards that all our days. Learning to think outside ourselves (our carnal, selfish selves) and to have His will be our will is what we are here to work on. It's a lifelong process, and I'm thankful I have a lifetime to work on getting to that point. 

1 comment: