Wednesday, May 04, 2016

My cousin, my friend


Kitty is my dad's cousin but she is my age. Her dad is Francis, who is my Grandpa Clyde's little brother. We did not become close until our 9th grade year in high school. Due to the 'feud' between the Barton men, we did not really know each other. We had not spent any time together as children. As our friendship grew, we had to keep it confined to school. My mom knew we were friends because she was a teacher, and I think she was happy, because she had never wanted her children to continue the 'feud". So we had lots of good times together, cruising Main, doing plays and drama competitions together, FHA. But we never could go to each other's houses or even really speak of each other at home.

It was what it was, but looking back, I just think how sad it is, to deprive cousins of knowing each other. Over things that, in the end, don't matter. I'm so thankful that we became friends because she saved my high school years I think. Her and Krista, Antoinette and Andrea.

I had been an outsider of the popular girls' group for years, just a hanger-on. But by 8th grade they had moved on and no longer let me be part of them. I was so lonely. Then Antoinette moved to town. And Krista started coming to school here instead of in Colorado. Then in 9th grade, Kitty and I began our friendship during our Algebra class. And Life Was Good!

The four of us even did our own thing after graduation because we did NOT want to go to Lake Powell with the rest of the class. We drove to Durango instead and spent the night and had a tourist day there together. Kitty, Krista and I went on to BYU and Antoinette went to SUU. We drifted apart over the years but thankfully have reestablished contact through FB.

I'm thankful that not only was Kitty my friend, but she's my cousin. We still have that tie that binds us together even though we don't see each other for years. She actually came to my house one morning a year or two ago and knocked on the door. I was so surprised to see her and she was unsure of her welcome but did it anyway. We hugged and cried and talked and talked. It made my day! I hope we can stay in touch and see each other occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment