Friday, May 27, 2016

MES End of Year Awards Assembly

Every year the parents of the students of Monticello Elementary School have to sit through a lengthy assembly while all the athletic, scholastic and social awards are given out. It is NOT one of my favorite ways to spend an hour or two.  It seems as if every year, the same names get called over and over and over again and all the other kids sit there dejected because their name is never called. I especially hate the Field Day awards which seem endless. I wish they'd just give those out on Field Day. 
 I asked the boys if they would be sad if I didn't go this year. Charlie and Soren both asked why I wouldn't go. Charles told me he thought he had gotten a ribbon in Long Jump, so I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to GET to go. I did leave James home with Nina so I didn't have to wrangle him for the 1-2 hours.


This a panoramic shot of the student body of MES on the west bleachers. 
Unfortunately, enrollment keeps dipping and every year it seems smaller.

In fact, my boys did get their names called a number of times. Soren's awards were mostly scholastic. Charlie did in fact win 1st place in the Long Jump for 1st grade boys and got a blue ribbon. He also got a white ribbon for taking 3rd place in the obstacle course. He also earned scholastic certificates.

Charlie waiting for his award


Soren's turns





Towards the end of the assembly they announced the citizenship awards for each class. To my surprise and delight both of my boys were chosen for that award in each of their classes. It nearly brought me to tears. I told them as we headed home, that to me that was the best thing they could have won. Out of all the other awards scholastic and athletic, I was so happy with them for just being good boys, and being kind, friendly and helpful. It was a sweet Mom moment. 

Charlie with his citizenship award

With his Field Day ribbons

Soren with his Citizenship award

I ended up being really glad I went to the dreaded awards assembly. I rounded up my boys with all their stuff and we had a happy ride home on the last day of school. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment