Monday, May 09, 2016

James' Preschool and prep for K

 I didn't feel like James needed to go to preschool away from me, but felt like he needed something to do  to keep him occupied while everyone was at school and to help him learn a few things, so I enrolled him in the free online preschool program run by the state called Upstart. It uses the Waterford preschool program and is quite academic. I don't really care if he does great at it, I really just want him to do it to keep him busy.

When I enrolled him I told them that we had a computer he could use to do it on, but then the computer got damaged by the lightening and so when we went to the orientation, I told them about that and they supplied us with a computer for him to use. How nice! He's been very excited to have his 'own' computer. And thankfully the kids have been able to use it for their homework as well. 

The requirement of the program is to do the reading portion for 15 minutes a day. But they suggested we as parents require 20 min a day, which will move them more quickly through the material and have them better prepared for school when they go next year. So I do require James to do 20 min of reading and 15 min of math/science 5x a week. And he is very diligent. It's the first thing he does after eating in the morning. He has progressed nicely through the program and is now reading. He struggles more with the math, but I know that will come as he gets a bit older, so I'm not worried about it. Here are some pictures of James during the last few months, as we have done 'preschool' and helped him get ready to go to the grade school next year.

James had to go with me to the orientation in Blanding and had some evaluations done, 
so they'd know where to start him out.

Working away at his 'own' computer.

His first day using the program. He's feeling like a big boy!

Other parts of James' day and ways he's growing and getting ready to go to Kindergarten...
He likes to watch a little video after doing his computer work.
He often wants a 'picnic' 

He's hard to resist. This day it was a bit early for lunch so he had cookies and milk.

When the weather was nice, he practiced riding his bike, trying to get the pedaling part down.

After the weather got colder, we pulled out the Wii so he could do it for some exercise and call it PE.
running on WiiFit

bowling

Boxing

Way to hit him!

golfing

baseball

Way to go, HOME RUN!!

Sometimes we play games...
this is a consonant as the first sound matching game. He's got them down.

 We did go to a play group a couple of times during the winter so he could meet a few kids who will be in his same grade. He was shy the first week, but got braver the next time. I haven't done a good job providing him with social activities, but with a large family, you get lots of interaction at home.
Its somewhat hard to believe that he will be in school next year. He's really growing up and becoming a boy rather than a toddler. I am thankful for his chance to use this program, as I think it will help him feel 'smart' when he starts. I just hope he doesn't get too bored and shut down. He is now reading and working on a 1st grade level. So fun to watch reading click for my kids. I hope James learns to love learning and school and will be the best student he can be! Watch out MES and world, here he comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment