Monday, April 25, 2016

Blue Mt. Invitational

I finally got to attend a track meet this year, the Blue Mt. Invitational held at San Juan High School, on the 23rd. I helped Curtis run the javelin event but was able to watch and photograph the girls when we had breaks.

I didn't see Hannah long jump but she was part of the medley relay, running the 400 leg. Something she had never done before this day. I think it turned out to be harder than she thought it would. When she finished her leg, she fell to the ground and said, "I'm NEVER doing that again!" However, she was pretty excited when her team won, even against a 2A and a 3A team.
Here she is waiting for her handoff...

She was the first to receive her handoff and off she went...

I thought for sure that the other girls would catch up with her...after all it was her first time running this race... but she just kept going and kept her lead. Here you can see how much of a lead she had.

Here she is coming in to hand off to the 800 leg... We were all yelling for her!
I was so proud of her for giving it her all and very excited for her to have done so well.

Cambria has been helping with the runners as an assistant coach this year. She works with the relay teams, helps with starts and handoffs... it has been fun to watch her as she coaches her runners. I think she should look into becoming a coach. Curtis says she does a really good job.

Here she is coaching one of her runners as they come around the last 2 turns...


Here she is consulting with one of the boys' relay teams

Then I wandered up to watch Sadie throwing the discus. She decided she'd do track if she could throw only. She did not want to run. She throws discus and shot-put. (I wasn't able to watch her throw the shot because I was busy measuring javelin throws.) She has worked diligently to learn the techniques. It was fun to watch her. Wish I'd had the guts to do track in high school. I'm impressed with her dedication to learning and always trying to improve and perfect her throwing.
warming up


competing...she did set her new PR (personal record)

I took the boys with me that day, because I had no one to stay home with them. They had some fun, but then got really bored and antsy to go home.
Soren letting us know he was bored.....

James discovered that rolling like a log down hills is fun! 



Till you whack your head on the ground!
He did get up laughing.


I love watching Curtis coach our own kids/team but I love that he truly wants to help each athlete there do the best they can do. Here he's talking to some javelin throwers from Monument Valley about hand positions and how to plant their feet when they throw, keeping the tip up. 
He just cares about helping people and that's an awesome thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment