Thursday, May 01, 2014

He can do hard things...

Charles has always been reserved or 'shy'. I hate to put that label on him, but he definitely takes time to warm up to new people and new situations. I knew that going straight from home to Kindergarten would have been very difficult for him so I felt impressed to enroll him in Mrs. Eardley's Joy School for the year before he would be going into Kindergarten. I thought that it would help him get more comfortable going to new places and it would allow him to meet a few of the kids he would be going to Kindergarten with. There were ten kids in his class.
In April or May of 2014 he was invited to a classmate's birthday party. He did not want to go, as it was a girl who had invited him. I talked to him and finally got him to agree to go if I would take him home if he didn't want to stay. When we went to the Pharmacy to get a gift, we ran into one of the other boys who was also getting a gift. I think that helped him feel like it would be okay for him to go also.
He was very reticent to join in at first. I asked the host if I could stay so that he would be more comfortable and so James and I went to the party too. As the party progressed he began to join in and participate in the games and activities. I was so happy to watch him interact with the other kids.
This photo I took from across the yard. He was initially the only one on the toy and it was fun to watch him light up as the other kids joined him and wanted to play with him. He still didn't say much, but he was having a good time, being part of things.
I love my quiet, sensitive boy. I try to involve him in things as far as he is comfortable, and try not to push him too hard. It's a fine line. But because he is so like me I can relate to him and hopefully not make him feel bad for being reserved. There is nothing wrong with being quiet and sensitive. The world needs more sensitivity of the right kind. I'm sure as Charles learns to do more hard things he will be happy with himself and will be a positive light to the world.
Charles (in dark jacket) and friends on the rocking helicopter toy

No comments:

Post a Comment