Saturday, May 17, 2014

Wildflowers at Goblin Valley

When we made plans to go to Goblin Valley in May I wasn't sure it would be a great time to be there. It's definitely not the best time to hike the slot canyons, the possibility of flooding is too great. But it was the best time for our schedules so we went.

I was blown away by all the wildflowers in bloom there. Who knew that so many different kinds and colors of flowers could grow in that sandy, dry soil? I wish I had been able to write down all the names the ranger told us, but I didn't and it's been too long and I've forgotten most of them. But if you ever get a chance to go to Goblin Valley in the spring don't pass it up!!
Can't remember, but I loved the shape and color of this flower.

I think this one was called 'brittle brush'
This is the plant that had a little rattlesnake sleeping under it. Stacy and I both put our feet right up to it to take photos and later another person saw the snake under it. As the ranger talked to us about the danger of snakes, especially little ones, she and I both looked at each other with amazement. We were lucky to not have been bitten!

Maybe purple vetch?

Just a shot showing the variety of plants blooming!

I know this one is 'Globe Mallow"
We have it at home, but it does not grow that tall here.

no idea, but it's an interesting plant

Desert Primrose
These were everywhere. So amazing.

no idea

Salt Cedar blossoms (aka tamarisk)
I have always loved these shrubby trees. They have the most amazing mauve colored, feathery blossoms. Perfect for a T2 like me. But I have learned that they are a noxious weed. They invade and take over wherever there is water. So the government in our neck of the woods is cutting and burning them to get rid of them. :(

More Tamarisk

close up of the Primrose. Aren't they lovely??

They grow everywhere! Out of nowhere! Bunches and bunches of them.

This is one 'field' of Primroses we passed on our way to the Goblin's Lair cavern.
I could not believe my eyes at times.

This is a panoramic shot I took as we hiked to the cavern. I felt a little like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz in the poppy field. There were flowers all around me and a small walking path in front of and behind me. Thankfully, the primroses did not make me sleepy.

Mormon cricket among the flowers. Pretty big and icky!

I can't imagine hordes of these invading and eating everything. Makes my skin crawl!

No comments:

Post a Comment