Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Delicious Multi-Grain Bread

I will readily admit that I am not the best cook in the world. I cook more out of duty and expediency than love of cooking. Beyond that, baking is my nemesis. I get so frustrated when I bake because it rarely turns out as I wish. So I love the fact that I've become very proficient at making really great bread. I suppose it comes from years of practice. Perhaps my brownies would be better if I practiced making them more often.
Here is our family's favorite bread recipe. I got it from a friend, who got it from her mom, who got it from a Bosch store I believe. I'd been trying to make a bread with texture for a time and hadn’t been successful at finding a bread that had texture but didn't fall apart when cut and used for sandwiches. When I tried this bread I knew I HAD TO HAVE the recipe!

Super Multi-Grain Bread 
2 C hot water 
2/3 C 6,7 or 9-grain cracked or rolled cereal 
1Tbsp + 1tsp millet 
1Tbsp + 1tsp sesame seeds 
1Tbsp + 1tsp flax seeds 
1/3 C sunflower seeds 
2Tbsp vital wheat gluten 
1 Tbsp yeast 
1/4 C honey
____________________ 
1/4 C oil 
2tsp liquid lecithin 
2tsp real salt 
3 C whole wheat flour 
______________________ 
2tsp dough enhancer


Measure the first group of ingredients into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a bread mixer. Gently fold together with a spatula and then let the mixture rest for five minutes, until the yeast begins to foam. 
Then add the second group of ingredients. Begin mixing with a dough hook until all ingredients are combined. Add enough extra flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixer bowl. Knead for 8 minutes. 
At this point the dough enhancer can be added. Knead the bread for an additional 2 minutes. This dough does not need to rise twice. Just form the loaves or rolls straight from the mixer. 


Multi Grain Bread: Form dough into two large loaves. Cover and let rise until dough is doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.


Super Multi Grain Rolls: Form dough into 24 round balls, placing 12 rolls per large greased cookie sheet. Melt 2 Tbsp  butter in a cup. Using a sharp knife cut an X in the top of the rolls and pour a little melted butter on the top to fill the X. Cover and let rise until the dough is doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter while still warm. Remove from cookie sheet to cool.

The recipe above is the original that I got from my friend. Depending on what I have on hand I have varied the ingredients with no problems Here are my variations:
I never have millet or sesame seeds so I never put them in. I do purchase ground flax seed and the multigrain cereal that I use already has the sunflower seeds in it.
I don't use the liquid lecithin or the dough enhancer. Neither did my friend.
I generally use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 unbleached white. I have also used all whole wheat flour.
I always double this because I need 4 loaves for our family for a week. When I'm adding the flour, I add the initial 6 cups of whole wheat and then use the unbleached 1/2 cup at a time til the dough cleans the bowl.
I always knead it in the machine for 12 minutes. I like the light texture that results from the longer kneading time.

Here are some pictures to show the process. I have had my K-Tec mixer for almost 10 years. I've had to replace the drive shaft several times, but the mixer is still going strong. I really only use the mixer for bread and smoothies and use my KitchenAid for cookies and cakes and such.  I would not part with it unless I had a new one to take its place.  It is a woman's best breadmaking friend.
Here is the first group of ingredients soaking in the warm water. Notice the flax floating on the surface.
Here it is after soaking. Notice the foaminess and bubbles.
Sorry, not a great picture but you can see the dough cleaning the sides of the bowl here.
After taking it from the mixer I knead it a few times by hand til the dough is quite smooth in texture.
Here I have cut the dough into quarters.
                                      
These two photos show one 'quarter' kneaded and rolled into a rectangle, then each rectangle is rolled up jelly roll style and pinched shut. The ends are pulled over and pinched shut as well.
Here you see the loaves in the pans. I have one really nice Pampered Chef stoneware pan and 3 crappy aluminum pans that I'd love to replace. I keep using them because I like the size of them.
'
Here is the bread risen and ready to be placed in the oven. 
And here is the final product. Fresh out of the oven and brushed with butter to soften the crust. Looks like this batch got left a bit long in the oven. Oh, well, that didn't stop us from devouring it. You can see that one loaf is already gone!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:07 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:54 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete