Monday, June 18, 2012

Better Late than Never......

I failed to get this post ready before Father's Day and since I don't use the computer on the Sabbath, it will be posted a day late. That's about par for me. Never quite getting things done on time. 
Below is a wonderful video clip about an amazing man. I could hardly watch it, I had so many tears in my eyes. This is the story of a true man. One who honors his covenants, honorably fulfills his family duties with no thought of self. One who was not too good to take a job most consider menial so that he could provide for his family. I admire this man more than I can say. Here is Bill's story.

I am blessed to have two such fathers in my life. First, my own father.
 I am the first child in my family. This is my cute dad holding me when I was little. We have the same round face and 'pinchable' cheeks.  This the smile I remember. My dad always wanted to be a rancher like his dad and grandpa before him. The reality was he always had to have another job to allow him to support his family and ranch on the side. Dad never had any fancy jobs, never was a bigwig, but he was a darn hard worker and did whatever he had to do to provide. Usually it was something involving trucks or heavy equipment. Lots of hours spent alone on a road. Not too different than being alone on a horse, I suppose. I think he liked the solitude. Lots of thinking time.
 These are the last pictures we have of him. The one above was taken in Oct 2011 at my nephew's wedding. The one below taken on Nov 9, 2011, right before we dropped Montana off at the MTC to begin his mission. Dad and Mom had dr. appts so we rode up north with them. They are holding maple leaves to signify Montana’s mission to Canada.
It's been 6 1/2 months since Dad died. It's still so hard to think of him without crying. I miss him so much. He was a wonderful father who quietly took care of things and made sure we were all taken care of. I miss his tender heart and quick tears. I know those things I inherited from him. (along with the round face and turned up nose) I look forward to seeing him again. I'm sure he's getting things done and ready for his family to join him. Making sure we're taken care of.

Secondly, the father of my children. I have been married to this marvelous man for almost a quarter of a century. I find it hard to believe we've spent that much time together. We still have so much to talk about and do. He is my best friend and my best supporter. He is always encouraging me and teaching me. He is a fantastic father. He loves children and interacting with them.  I love watching him play with our kids. He leads our family in the gospel, sharing his wisdom and insights with us, and encouraging us to live as we should and teaching us by his example.
He has never been able to pin down one thing to study and pursue as a career in his life. He has had many different jobs in his quest to provide for us. Like Bill in the video, he has never been too proud to accept a job that most would consider menial. He is currently working as the head custodian at our local high school. Not the most prestigious job, but it provides for us and allows him the opportunity to interact with the local youth of our town. He has a gift for working with children and teens and feels very strongly that it is something he needs to do. His job has allowed him the time and opportunity to help coach sports and be a mentor and guide to young men and women. Because he is not a teacher, he is less restricted in how he can share with them. He is often able to share gospel truths and principles with these youth as he coaches them or talks to them at school. I know he has had a very positive impact in the two years he has been there.
I am  so thankful for the 'fathers' in my life. The Father of all of us, Heavenly Father, has blessed me abundantly. That's what fathers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment