Monday, July 06, 2015

Independence Day 2015

We always look forward to Independence Day. America's Birthday!! 
On the night before, the kids decided to draw patriotic chalk drawings on the driveway. This activity occupied them for quite some time. And used a lot of chalk!


I was going to get individual pictures of each drawing in the morning and I almost missed out. The sprinklers had come on in the night and washed some off the chalk away. But thankfully, not all of it.

Sadies' creations





After we finished our hike, we came home and spent the afternoon making some new patriotic T-shirts to wear. It gave us something to do and I think we got some really cool shirts out of it, as well.
I don't often like to do craft activities because of the mess potential, but I'm glad I let my practical side get overruled this time.

making firework and flag T-shirts

After dinner, Ford and Shiala came up to do fireworks with us. Shiala likes to make treats, but doesn't really want to eat them. So we are often the recipient of her skills and generosity. She made these Oreo pops and brought them up for the kids to eat. They were yummy and festive!



After it got dark enough we went out to do a bit of celebrating. We decided not to drive back down to Blanding for the big fireworks show since we'd been down that way earlier. Thankfully, Curtis had splurged on some small fireworks and we put on our own show in the driveway.

I have memories from my childhood of doing this a time or two, but I don't remember enjoying it much. So many of my childhood memories are tainted by the wind, that in my memory, ALWAYS blew. I remember it being so hard to light and keep lit the fireworks, having to stand around it in a tight circle, trying to block the wind.  Since I've lived here as an adult, I've realized that it does NOT always blow. We have some really amazing, lovely days in fact, and this day was one of them. It was a bit chilly, as you can see, but it was a good night for a fireworks show.

First off, we pulled out the sparklers. Aren't these things the best fun??









We invited Peyton up to do fireworks with us. He came in his pjs and a coat. Funny kid. He always adds to the entertainment. He did a lot of dancing and jumping...




And dueling...





Shiala helped ignite sparklers...
Then it was time for the other fireworks….We all grabbed a seat and settled in to watch. Curtis let the kids take turns picking and helping light each one...



James wasn't too fond of the loud pops and bangs...




We are so lucky to live in the United States of America! And to be able to celebrate the birth of this nation, the work and sacrifice of those who dreamed of a country where men could live and worship freely, and have opportunities that were not open to them anywhere else. 
I'm Proud To Be An American!

No comments:

Post a Comment