Monday, July 27, 2015

30 Year Class Reunion

My high school class had a 30 year reunion get-together on the 23rd of July at Circle Park. I debated about going. Wasn't sure I wanted to, so I didn't sign up to go, but I guess my curiosity got the better of me and I also thought it would be pretty lame to live in town and not go. So I just showed up after they'd already eaten lunch.

And I'm so glad I went.

It was actually a very good experience. In high school, I was the youngest person in my class and never quite felt like I was a part of it, or fit in. But, thankfully, 30 years after we graduated, I finally felt ok to be me and be there with them. I no longer felt like an outsider or unwanted. Everyone was very kind and it was fun visiting with them all and learning how they are doing. One girl came up to me and apologized in person (She already had over the internet) for filling my car with hay and dish soap our senior year. We hugged and I told her that it meant a lot to me that she would own up to it and apologize. She said it had bugged her for years. I told her that I had done/said things I wish I could take back and that thankfully we grow up and become better people.

It was very healing. I felt a genuine love for all of these people who I had struggled so much with in my high school years. It surprised me and I was very thankful that I decided to go.

Unfortunately, not many people from our already small class attended. 12-13 out of 45ish. Kind of sad. And I was the only one who lives in town who did attend.
top L-R: Cinnamon Christensen, Gwenaley Redd, Shelly Calvert, Shelly Deeter
Front L-R: Kitty Barton, David Butterfield, Danny Rouse, Jodi Schaugaard, Kolene Black, Shelly Utley, Melonie Peterson, Kassie Barton
Melanie's husband was there with his camera and took the class pictures and also offered to take any other pictures desired. I grabbed Kitty and I think he got a great shot of us. I think I even see some family resemblance! I love her and I'm glad we're more than friends. We're family!
Kitty and Kassie
'kuzzins' 

No comments:

Post a Comment