Saturday, June 06, 2015

Summer Vacation starts

One day this week I felt the need to do something different than usual. It is only the first week of summer and already it's feeling stagnant. I could feel the mountain calling me and so I packed a lunch and rounded up the kids who were stuck to screens and loaded up the car and off we went. I just needed to be out and away from home and town. 
We drove up to Foy Lake to look for birds, throw rocks and just bask in the sunshine. At that altitude it's not too warm up there yet, but it is very pleasant and refreshing. 
I had just packed up some veggies, fruit, a loaf of bread, meat etc. The kids wanted to know how we were going to cut the bread and make sandwiches. I told them to just tear off a hunk of bread and eat it, and have some meat and veggies. They thought I was nuts. But I hadn't wanted to stop and take the time to prepare. I just wanted to load up and go, so that's what we got. A shepherd's lunch.
We didn't stay long, but it was a fun start to what looks to be a very busy, crazy-ish summer. It was just what we needed to ground ourselves and slow down and appreciate the simple things that will get overlooked as the summer gets busier.
Charlie

Soren

working on their rock-throwing techniques

boys + rocks + water = bliss


James found an easy-chair to sit in to eat.

"best seat in the house"

No comments:

Post a Comment