Saturday, September 13, 2014

'Yellow season'

Sometime in the last couple of years I came to the realization that we have a 'yellow' season here at the base of the Blues on the Colorado Plateau.
In late August and early September the sunflowers and rabbitbrush burst into glorious yellow! I'm sure it has a lot to do with the monsoon season. Everywhere I look I see my favorite color and it makes me smile :).  (Of course, it helps that I am not allergic to any of these plants) 
In our beekeeping efforts we realized that, in contrast to Utah Valley, there is not a significant pollen/nectar flow here in early summer. It comes much later when the native flora blooms. 
I have truly come to love the flowers found in deserts. Typically, they are not large or very showy but if you take the time to slow down and really look at them, you'll be blown away at the variety and beauty! And 'Yellow' season has quickly become a favorite of mine!



No comments:

Post a Comment