Wednesday, April 03, 2013

More fun in Provo

After being in the ER for a bit Dr. Ludlow came in to see me and examine me. He took the time to talk with us and go over all the details with us. He explained the medication that I had been given and the necessity for it. It was very hard to take a drug you know will abort a fetus but if Mom bleeds to death there is no baby anyway. That is only logical and there was really little other choice. He talked to us about the possibility of the D&C, actually at that point he was pretty sure it was going to be necessary, as well as the possibility of a hysterectomy.

When he did the exam he removed a huge clot from me that was about the size of a grapefruit. It was still early morning, so he wanted me to have one more dose of the Cytotec, which works by making the uterus clamp down, thereby slowing the bleeding) and see how that worked before deciding to do the D&C. They wheeled me up to a room and put me in bed. Curtis went in search of food. Later that morning, Dr. Ludlow came and checked me again and the bleeding had stopped significantly and he told me that he felt that the D&C would not now be necessary. He wanted me to stay the day in the hospital and be monitored and if all was well they would release me that evening.

So I spent the day lying in a hospital bed. It was not an ICU type of room, it was just a regular room on the surgery recovery floor. I found it sort of funny that there was such haste to get me there to UVRMC and so little after I got there. The nurses took good care of me and removed all those lovely IVs that were not needed. But mostly they left us alone and we had a quiet day.

Dr. Ludlow came in later in the afternoon and said they were happy to release me to go home. He did say that it would be a good idea for us to stay in the valley for a couple of days to monitor bleeding. If it picked up again, we would need to come back in. We had a good visit with him and asked him if he thought I would be able to go to SC for Ford's graduation from Basic Training. He seemed to think it would be fine and that led to a discussion about his time in the military.  I think he probably spend 30 extra minutes talking to us. If anyone has a need for a good OB in the Ut. Valley area I would highly recommend Dr. Ludlow. He was fantastic.

After finally getting all the necessary paperwork done I was released. Nicole had brought over the girls' car for us to use for the couple of days that we were to stay. We called my Uncle Boyd and asked if we could use their downstairs bedroom for a day or two. He was gracious enough to let us come.

We had had the dr. call in a RX for more Lovenox to Walgreens since it is just kitty-corner from the hospital. We went over there to pick it up and to get alcohol wipes and sanitary pads and such. It was the biggest  joke we've ever had played on us. They wanted to charge us $2600 for the shots. Curtis was so mad. He rarely gets mad enough that anyone would notice, but he was irate. I think he was very tired as well.  He had them check things again to see if a mistake had happened. It had not. He asked them the price of one shot to get us through the night. $150. Needless to say, we could not afford to pay that, but how could we afford not to?

In the end of it all, the pharmacist there told us he could transfer the RX to Walmart. He even called there to make sure they had the meds. So we left Walgreens and raced to Walmart to make it before the pharmacy closed.  There we got the shots we needed for 3 days and paid $300 for them.  I wondered then, and have since, how in the world Walgreen's stays in business. Who in their right mind would  take their prescriptions there?

We spent the next couple of days resting, visiting friends, and doing a bit of shopping. Mr. Shakespeare, Curtis's boss, came to pick us up on Thurs. evening to take us home. It was an uneventful trip home and it was nice to be home again.  Nice to see the kids and try again, to get our lives back to normal....

No comments:

Post a Comment