Monday, April 01, 2013

Easter Seder

Our Easter day began with an old tradition that was revived due to the requests of our children. The Easter baskets were hidden around the house and had to be searched for. If you find someone else's you have to leave it alone and not share where it is so that they can have the fun of trying to find it. Baskets have been known to be found in dryers, in tents, on top of appliances, in closets and cupboards.....it's lots of fun to look for them. Contents were the traditional Peeps, jelly beans, Cadbury Mini eggs, plus other goodies.
I found it!! (Charles and Soren)

Dad helping James....

The boys comparing their basket contents....

"No. You may not eat it all before church."

Hannah looking her basket over...

Sadie looks satisfied with hers....

"What did you get?"
This year I wanted to do more to celebrate Easter. After all, without Easter there would be no reason to celebrate Christmas, which is when we really go all out to celebrate Christ. I wanted to make Easter more special than I have done in the past and I wanted to do something a little different than the usual ham and yummy potatoes for dinner. So when I read about an Easter Seder with a Passover/last week of Christ message, I decided that I would like to try it out. I wasn't sure my kids would eat anything or enjoy it, but I think we liked it well enough to do it again.
I found the idea here in an article on powerofmoms.com. 
We followed it almost exactly, I think. I liked that it was generally foods my kids would eat and not quite the traditional things like lamb or matzoh. We used chicken and pita. 
After Church we all, including Grandma, gathered in the addition and sat in a large circle on the floor and discussed each day in the last week of the Savior's life and ate a bite of a symbolic food or performed a symbolic action related to that day. It took a while and I think they were really quite hungry by the time we were done. At that point we let everyone eat what they wanted until they were full. 
 I hope that as we keep this tradition all of us will have a greater understanding of the events that occurred in the last week of Christ's life. I know that I personally haven't known all that happened or the sequence of all that Christ went through. I think this is a great way to impart some of that knowledge in a fun way and get us to think and ponder on this most significant event in the history of the world.

Our Easter Seder on the floor in the addition

Everyone was brave to try a taste of all the food...

Not your traditional Easter Dinner

Even Grandma joined us! She was brave too.



Nice gecko fingers, Sadie! It is an unwritten rule that children MUST
put olives on their fingers before consuming them.

some of the yummy and interesting food we ate!
My favorite was the haroset. yum!

'Did my feet get clean enough?'

More geckos!!

Charles

Off they go, one at a time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment