Saturday, April 28, 2012

Our 4H summer project

When I was a teenager, my dad had me and my sisters raise lambs for 4H to show and sell at the county fair. I remember being less than enthusiastic about it. I'm sure I did the bare minimum. I vaguely remember the show and auction.
 Last year our family decided to raise a couple of pigs to sell at the Jr. Livestock Show and Auction. Ford and Cambria each raised a pig. It seemed like a long boring summer, taking care of those pigs. But as soon as they sold them and realized how much money they had made, they were gung ho about doing it again this year.
This year we have 3 pigs we are raising. Ford will be leaving mid-summer so he is not going to show a pig, but is helping take care of the 3 we have until he leaves for a share in the profit. So the 3 girls will all be showing and selling a pig.

I appreciate the 'investment' and money making potential, but for me, the best part of it is getting to take care of animals. We will most likely never have a farm or have to care for farm animals, so this is probably as close as we will get to that process. It's a good lesson in responsibility and dependability. Knowing that those animals rely on you for every thing they need. When we go to feed them, I have been so happy to see my kids get right in there and try to get those pigs to know them. They enjoy spending time there picking grass and greens for them to eat in addition to the pig feed. They get in the pen and try to get the pigs to let them touch them. I'm so glad they aren't as ornery about raising a 4H animal as I was.

I'm thankful we now live in a place where this is a possibility for our family and for their willingness to take this opportunity and have these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment