Saturday, April 21, 2012

An Amazing Woman

I know that this has probably been done all over the internet since General Conference, 
but I just can't not pay a little tribute to Sister Julie B. Beck
She was released as the General Relief Society President during General Conference just a couple of weeks ago. 

I first came to love Sister Beck when she was a counselor in the General Young Women's Presidency. Her talk on scripture study (2004) seemed to be written just for me, as I was struggling with figuring out how to do more than just read the scriptures. 

I was thrilled when she was called to be the Gen. RS president. I knew I would get to hear many more wonderful talks from her over the years. I was right. They just kept coming.  Mothers Who Know (2007) is such a classic to me. I'm gratefully reading and studying the book the RS published and gave to all women last year, Daughters in My Kingdom. Through Sis. Beck's words I have come to understand the importance of the history of the RS and that I need to study and learn and apply it to myself. I have learned so many things from her and am so thankful for her ability to preach and testify in a way that I connect with. 

A highlight in my life was when she visited and spoke in a stake RS meeting here shortly after we moved back to my hometown. It was a powerful experience and I was amazed at her knowledge of scripture and wisdom. She spoke to us but then opened it up for a Q&A session. It didn't matter what the question was, she had a wise response and used the scriptures to teach us. 

I don't remember where I read it, but someone posted that she was probably the closest thing to a prophetess that we have had. I couldn't agree more. 

Thanks for the last 8 years of wise counsel and guidance, Sister Beck!

No comments:

Post a Comment