Thursday, April 24, 2008

Where, oh where did April Go? and other random thoughts!

It literally blew past me I think, like the wind that's been blowing all the dirt from southern Utah northward! Guess that's what happens when you take a week of for spring break. Not much time left when you get back.

We had to make a trip to SE Utah to visit the dentist. The kids had a whole boatload of fillings to be done and I had a tooth that needed some attention as well. That's not a particularly FUN way to spend spring break, but we threw a few other things in there as well.

We were able to be at Natural Bridges National Monument on April 16 which happened to be the 100th anniversary of the Monument. It was a nice sunny day, although a bit breezy, and we attended the little ceremony they had at the visitor's center and had a picnic and the kids hiked to one of the Bridges with Grandma. Grandpa can't hike, (bum knee), so he, the 2yr old and I occupied our time hanging out in the car. My great grandfather, Ezekiel Johnson, was the first custodian of the Natural Bridges and worked there for nearly 20 years. There were lots of his descendants at the Bridges that day to honor his work.

The kids got to play around in the hot tub and with the mules. We also rode four-wheelers and hiked again on Saturday down the 'causeway' in Butler Wash. It was used by pioneers for several years and is another example of a road hung on the side of a canyon. Not quite as high or steep or scary as the one they built at the Hole-in-the-Rock, but it was a nice hike. The cacti were just getting ready to bloom and the other wildflowers were out in profusion. Did I have my camera? No!

Since we've been home, we've had Science Fair projects to finish up, Sonnets to write, Activity Days, Mutual and I am sewing some more Shakespeare costumes. I tried working on them tonight and bent my only sewing machine needle. Typical!

I have attached myself to a healthy eating/exercise challenge over at Angie's. I actually got on my treadmill today! That's a first. Just need to get up earlier and go longer and faster. That and stop eating all the in-between snacks. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Kassie!!!
    I can't thank you enough for that copy of Motherhood! I was so surprised to find it in my mailbox this week! You are just the sweetest! Thank you so much! I can already tell I am going to love it- and then add to that your sweet thoughts and kindness in sending it to me- I know I'll always treasure it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete