Monday, April 07, 2008

Core Thoughts....

Thoughts on Core phase, that is. If you aren't familiar with the term, read A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Demille. The core phase is the most basic phase all people need to have in their learning. It is best done in the earliest years at home with parents. This is the time when basic core values and morals are taught; "right/wrong, good/bad, true/false, relationships, family values especially spiritual culture, family identity including family history and mission, family routines and responsibilities, accountability, value and love of work and play" taken from Leadership Education, the Phases of Learning by Oliver and Rachel Demille.



In our efforts to implement this type of education in our home and family, my girls and I have basically been working on our Core Phase this year. There are a few bright days but lots of others where it's obvious we need to continue to work on it. And that's just it! It's a phase we never leave. We work on it all the days of our lives.



One of the things we do daily is to have a devotional in which we sing a hymn, pray, recite a scripture we are memorizing that coordinates with our monthly theme, say the pledge of allegiance, and write in our journals. We take turns picking the hymn to be sung and often we discuss, after singing it, how it can tie into our monthly theme or pick vocabulary words from it to look up.



Last month, our theme for March was virtue, specifically moral goodness. My daughter, C, chose to sing #307 In Our Lovely Deseret. As we looked at it and began to talk about it I was struck that the entire song is a list of things to be learned in our Core Phase. We quickly got out a piece of paper and began listing all of those things. My daughter then asked if she could make all of us a poster of those things to hang in our rooms to remind us of the things we need to be working on each and every day. This is one time when Inspiration spoke to all of us, and we heard it!

2 comments:

  1. Kassie,

    How fun to see a sweet post from you on my blog! I've wondered about you as well, and I'm excited you have a blog. I'll be back to visit, and catch up on your cute family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love it when things click so well at home. I wish it happened more often! I just recieved a copy of Leadership Education and I can't wait to get it read.

    ReplyDelete