Sunday, October 12, 2014

You Look Like My Grandma!'

My dad's aunt passed away recently. I went with my mom to her funeral. In a small town there's always a good turnout at funerals, since everyone knows everyone. We waited in the long line to pay our respects to her children, hugging and visiting with relatives along the way. As I approached her daughter (who was my Beehive advisor eons ago) she looked at me and said, 'Oh, you're so beautiful!' I stammered 'thank you' to her and then she said, 'You look like my grandma!' and gave me a big hug. I smiled and with tears in my eyes, said, 'I do, don't I?'

I've long known that I got my broad cheekbones and apple-y cheeks from my dad's side of the family. My mom said it came through the Mackelprang/Jones/Barton line. But I've never had anyone else notice. Especially someone who actually knew my Great-Grandma Ella. She died when I was 3 months old, so I've only ever seen her in pictures. 
It meant so much to me to hear those words. Oh, how I love my ancestors! Family history and connections between generations are so important to me. I love that I have Grandma Mary's and Grandma Ella's cheekbones! I love that there is something that connects me to them. I can't wait to know them again! I feel blessed to be part of their family!
                                         

 Ella as a young woman. I can see that her nose is slightly upturned like mine, and she has blended cheeks with a softer jawline. Like I do.
Ella later in her life. I see the same cheeks and deep crevices between cheek and mouth area.

Below is Grandma Mary, Ella's mother.

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment