Sunday, October 12, 2014

Procrastination is not my friend...

'Procrastination is not your friend!' is one of Curtis's favorite sayings. We hear it a lot at our house.
Lately I've come to realize what my own procrastination has cost me.
At least twice in the last couple of months I have found myself missing out on serving someone or doing something I'd really wanted to do because I had put off doing something else and the time was gone. 
At the end of Aug I had a talk to give in church. I knew about it for 3 weeks but kept putting off putting anything down on paper. The last couple of days I knew I had to focus and write. An opportunity (can't for the life of me remember now exactly what. *Curtis helped me remember that we were given the opportunity to help clean the temple after the last Saturday session but I couldn't stay.*)came up on one of those days and I had to decline because I had left myself no time. 
This week I was invited to go to the temple with my sister while she was in town. I told her I'd love to go and that I better get my robe ironed. I'd washed it weeks ago and let it sit in a basket to be ironed. Well, come Saturday afternoon and I'm scrambling to get ready and realize my robe is still not ironed. I ran downstairs, turned on the iron and tried to put those pleats back into it. I got the iron too hot and nearly ruined my robe. I then realized I didn't have time to get it done before I'd need to leave and with a heavy heart I had to let my sister know I would not be able to be there.
In both of these instances, if I had not put off the task I would have been able to serve when the opportunity arose. I feel badly that because I didn't get to the temple maybe one person had to wait for her ordinance work to be done a little bit longer. 
I have fought procrastination all my life, along with its companion, perfectionism. I hate to think of all I've missed out on or caused others to miss out on because of it. I hope that I can do a better job in the future, remembering these lessons and that when those service opportunities arise, I can say, 'Sure, I'd love to help!' knowing I have the ability and availability to do so :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I can completely relate to your thoughts here! I have had similar experiences and I always promise myself I will not let that happen again! I love those times that I actually prepare ahead of time and life runs smoothly because of it. If only we didn't always have to be reminded of things the hard way! You'll just have to head to the temple soon to make up for that missed opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Angie, I need to go. Hopefully soon!
    I'm hoping the fact that my brain made the connection between my procrastination and missed opportunities not only once, but twice, means it will stick in my brain!!

    ReplyDelete