Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter-2014

Easter has been a work in progress at our house for years. We've been trying to minimize the commercial aspects of it and the 'Easter Bunny' aspect for years without making it no fun. I think we've finally settled on a good solution. For the past couple of years we have been going to Bluff on the Saturday before Easter and doing the egg hunt at the Fort and picnicking at Grandma's. Then on Sunday we focus on the Spiritual aspect, the last week of Christ's life and his crucifixion and resurrection.
We do still put out Easter baskets, but there is not as much fanfare about them.
Here are some photos from this year's fun at Bluff:
Our egg-hunting guys. Soren with the new bike he got when Sadie gave him the egg she found. What a nice sister!!
it's the second bike we've won at the Fort. I felt a bit guilty about that since we don't even live there,
but I was told it was perfectly fine and fair and to enjoy it.
We are so thankful for the generosity of the donors who provided the bikes that two of my boys enjoy.
Stacy likes to have structured activities for the kids. This year she got the supplies for and helped make Pompom shooters and Portable personal Tic Tac Toe sets with painted river pebbles. The kids had a great time painting the rocks. We came home with extra painted rocks, most of them being minions from Despicable Me. It kept them occupied for quite a long time. Thanks Stacy, for your work!
Boys with their marshmallow-pompom shooters
pompoms were the ammo of choice

Soren aiming high

Soren getting the expert's (Stacy's) help.

Tic Tac Toe with our individualized painted pebble and rope sets.

Great portable game
Here are some pictures from this year's Easter Seder Dinner. This year, I made an additional copy of the script and cut it up into days and had the kids help read and pass out the foods. I liked not being the only one reading, so I could enjoy the foods as well. Before next year, I'm going to make it into a book, so we can just take turns passing it on and reading from it. I think this is one tradition that will stick. In fact, I had planned to do it again this year, but hadn't said so, and the kids asked about it. I think they enjoy it, even if they wrinkle their noses at some of the bitter foods.
2nd Annual Welch's Easter Last Week of Christ's life Seder Dinner. Whew!

Passing the food items around as we talk about an event from Christ's last week.

Not sure if Cambria is trying to eat an olive or gag herself!

Last of the feet-washing teams. I think Liv's trying to do Pilates.

have a little vinegar with your oil? 

relaxing after such a hard day at church

is it good? Looks like they're not sure.

Charles and his bit of sweetened, leavened bread. (cinnamon roll) Mmm mm.

James seems to be enjoying himself. I always manage to catch Curtis with food in his mouth.

Brought out the other yummy foods. Such an easy Easter dinner. No hours standing in a hot kitchen. 

The whole gang, minus Dad.
I have really come to love Easter and what it signifies. I love the rebirth of all life on the Earth in the spring so I really love Easter and the eternal life it promises. I’m so so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Plan of Salvation and Happiness prepared by our loving Heavenly Father and put into motion by our loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Life is sweet with the peace and joy of the Gospel!
All the grandkids who were at Bluff for Easter, with Grandma on her front porch with the handcart.
Bluff is a special place.

Good Things:
sunshine
sisters
history

No comments:

Post a Comment