Monday, January 13, 2014

Buzz, buzz

We have had a beehive for a few years. Curtis hasn't had the time to work with them like he'd like to in the last couple of  years. Basically we just maintain them and never harvest any honey. But they are great pollinators at the least.
Curtis is always good to show the kids the frames and how the bees do things inside the hive. How they create the comb and fill it with honey and cap it. How they care for the larvae. It's very educational. 
I used to be afraid of bees but as I've learned about them and dealt with them a little I have realized that they are not scary. They are incredibly busy and driven to do what they do. They really have no use for humans and mostly ignore them unless they feel threatened by them. I just try to stay back and I don't breathe on them. (Carbon dioxide sets them off) 
In all the years we've had bees we've only had about 3 people stung. Curtis, of course, and Ford(one got his face) and one of the little kids stepped on one. They're better about keeping shoes on now!

Good things: 
A husband who is handy and wants to increase his skills...
Fresh honey(when we can get it)
Bees that go about their business and ignore me unless I get too close to their business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment