Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fort Building....

I had an interesting insight hit me today. Just recording it for my remembrance...

When we first moved back to Utah after living in Arizona for 7 1/2 years, my kids and I stayed in Monticello with my parents while Curtis lived and worked in Provo and tried to find housing for our family.

It was June and summer was starting, and for some reason we could not get the boys to go outside and play, explore or do anything else. One day Grandma and I told Jordan, age 8, and Montana, age 4, to go down off the hill and build themselves a fort. Montana asked us in a very serious manner if there was a library in town. We told him yes and asked why, to which he replied, "Well, maybe we can go there and check out a video on how to build forts!"

My first thought was "poor, little, city boy". We tried to hold in our laughter and told them they didn't need a video to build forts, that they could just figure it out. If I remember correctly, they never did build one. Too much time cooped up in houses, with videos, and a mom who didn't want to go out to watch them in the heat of the AZ sun. Sad.

Lately, I've had an urge to really study my scriptures, rather than just read them. However I never really start because I feel like I don't know how or where to begin. So I've been reading about studying scriptures, hoping to find insight and inspiration in the words of those who know how to do it. And I keep putting off just opening my scriptures and studying.

As I thought about this yesterday, I realized that I have been 'going to the library to get videos on how to build forts'! I keep looking for outside guidance instead of just figuring it out for myself. Instead of using the actual resource I keep dancing around it, reading about other people using the resource.

It's time to just 'build my fort'. To open those precious books and study them.
The fact that the scriptures are compared to a fort in this instance is not lost on me. As I learn to read and study and ponder I will fortify myself spiritually to protect myself and my loved ones in these wicked, crazy days.

I love how Heavenly Father teaches us quietly and gently by our own experiences. Feeling very grateful to Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment