Friday, July 11, 2008

Look What I did!

I've been getting some of my harvesting done which is a big deal for me. I usually lose all interest in the garden starting about now, when it starts to get HOT! But I'm really trying not to get apathetic about it this year and to not leave a bunch of stuff to go to waste.
So far, I've gotten about 8 cups of raspberries. I'm just freezing them until I have a larger amount to make jam. But they are YUMMY! Big and juicy.

I also harvested all of my spinach and cleaned it, tore it and froze it. I think we will be able to use it in green smoothies, at least that's my hope. Not too much salad eating going on around here this summer, not sure why. But I didn't want it to bolt and be useless, so I decided this was an option to still get the use of it.


Tuesday I went out and pulled up my garlic. I was happy with how much we got. We *heart* garlic at our house. I braided the smaller heads into this fun hanging braid. I'm still soaking the larger heads to see if I can soften up the stems enough to braid them as well, if not we'll figure out another way to store them.

I may make a gardener after all!



Nah!

*Update-This is the wrong kind of garlic for braiding. This is hardneck garlic and if it grows its scape (flower) then it's too stiff and hard to braid. The little bulbs hadn't done that yet, so they were pliable and braidable.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool - I've never done anything like that! The most I've ever grown in a garden is tomatoes, peppers, and squash. We tried lettuce two yrs ago and it went to seed - it was an experience!

    Thank you for sharing your url with me. You family is precious! I look forward getting to know you better - maybe as this is both our first yr doing EPIC adventures, we can learn from each other, and pass off some ideas. :)

    I expect this to take us through Spring, starting in Sept. (I always wait until after Labor Day). I'm almost through the brainstorming stage now. I can see the benefits of going away for a few days... it's a luxury I don't have right now, but maybe in the future!

    ReplyDelete