Friday, March 21, 2008

Today's progress. . .

Fridays are the big day around here for getting a lot done on this addition. Our good friend and neighbor, D, is a building inspector for Provo, but he used to own his own business and that man loves to work with his hands and build things. So, since he doesn't work for the city on Fridays he comes to work here instead. He is the one who helped us with our design and the technical schtuff when we planned this addition. He has been a great mentor for C, teaching him much about framing, plumbing and anything else C asks about.
Today they removed the old back door that separated the new part of the house from the old. This is a precursor to finally getting to remove the wall that separates the kitchen from the new dining area. D spent the afternoon working on a new step for the area where the door jamb used to be. That door was one step down from the kitchen floor, with a landing at the top of the stairs that go down. So he had to build the new floor out into the area where the jamb used to be to meet that landing properly. I keep looking over there and thinking that I need to go shut the door. It will take some getting used to.
We also got all the plumbing in place to move the washer and dryer to their new location. C still needs to pour a little concrete around the new drain and put up some drywall behind where they will be, but they will be in their new home by tomorrow and I can finally be through with my laundry dungeon. Seriously, for the last 11 years my laundry area has been a tiny, windowless corner that I had to squeeze past the water softener to get to(a tight squeeze when I was pregnant!). I'll post a picture of the before and after tomorrow.

On my end of things, I finally got the three costumes made for the Shakespeare play. I needed a few more volunteer hours so I offered to sew costumes. I will take them to the school on Monday and record my hours. I sewed a vest for last year's play and it was a bugger. The material was so thick and hard to work with. This year's pattern was much simpler and the fabric much easier to work with. Hallelujah! I guess I ought to be thankful that my mom was a Home Ec. teacher and taught me to sew. I don't do it very often, but it's a handy skill to have when it's needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment