Monday, February 11, 2008

I Miss You Already!

My paternal grandfather died today at 4:30 p.m. It was truly a blessing for him, but as always I'm crying.

My grandmother died nearly 9 years ago and he had missed her so much, so I'm crying as I imagine their reunion.

I'm crying imagining the reunion with his parents and grandparents. What joy!

I'm crying because I remember so many good times we spent together. The times he took me for horse rides, took me to the ranch when he did chores, took me with him on his milk truck runs down to the Navajo Reservation. I thought he was the smartest man because he could speak Navajo. The time he came to see me when I was in college and took my cousin and me out to dinner. Letting me play in the saddle shed and the barn and help with haying. (if I could stop sneezing long enough)

I'm crying because he is no longer trapped in a body that wasn't working with a mind that has been 'gone' for years. What must that be like, to be free of the frailties of a mortal body?

I'm crying mostly because, as sad as I am, and as much as I miss him, I know I'll see him again.

Goodbye, Grandpa! I love you!!!

7 comments:

  1. Those left behind are the ones that mourn. Isn't it wonderful to know that there is life after death? I am grateful for that knowlegde.

    Find a favorite picture of your grandpa and put it in a place of honor.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending my condolences. You written a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kassie-
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but happy that your grandpa is having such a joyous reunion! I still tear up thinking about my grandmother who passed away 5 years ago too! Hugs to you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited because you recently left a comment on my blog. Thanks for "delurking". I've really enjoyed reading your blog! I look forward to your future posts, and accept my condolences for your grandpa. It's wonderful that the gospel can bring joy at a time like this, isn't it?
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I'll comment later on instructions for the prayer and scripture calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to add you to my blogroll. Could I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kassie I am sorry for your loss, You are right about his joy and reuinion with his family.

    ReplyDelete