Sunday, December 28, 2014

The ever changing face of the Abajos

My favorite part of living in Monticello, in this house, is the view of the mountains out my front windows. I love looking at them every day to see what's going on up there. I have always found it interesting how clouds seem to be drawn to mountains, as if to a magnet. Some days the mountain is readily visible, and keeps me grounded. Other days it's partially hidden behind wisps of clouds, and appears as if it's floating. Then there are the days when it's completely covered by clouds and if you didn't know it was there you'd think we lived on flat land. On those days I feel like I've lost my moorings, like I'm drifting.
At times in my life I've fantasized about living in the Midwest, with endless prairie and sky. (Probably comes from reading Little House on the Prairie countless times!) But I truly do love our little mountains here. I'm thankful they are there to provide a catch place for snow to supply our need for water in this desert land. How generous is our Heavenly Father for placing that little bunch of mountains right here where it could provide for the needs of a couple of small communities? I'm thankful for:

  •  the visual variety they provide for me every day
  • I love them in the spring when the green starts to creep up their sides
  • I love them in the summer when they are full, deep green and we can go up into the cool air there
  • I love them in the fall with their subtle fall colors. I've learned to appreciate the many shades an oak tree can turn
  • I love them in the winter with their winter white coat on. That's when the Horsehead on the side is most easily seen
I love them just about any old time!




No comments:

Post a Comment