Saturday, October 13, 2012

Camp Jackson-Oct 2012

To celebrate my dad's birthday and spend time together as family my mom rented the cabin up on the mountain at Camp Jackson for a couple of days.
I had only been home from the hospital in Provo for a day and my ability to breathe was still compromised. I was still taking Lovenox shots and had started on the Coumadin. There are quite a few things to do at the cabin, but I mostly sat around because at that altitude I quickly became short of breath if I exerted myself at all.
We took 4-wheelers up and the kids had fun riding them around. Lots of game playing and movie watching, some craft activities and good food, but I think the hit of the trip for the kids was the paddle boats on the little reservoir. I even made my way down to the 'lake' and Wendy paddled me around for a bit. I was royalty and got a ride on a 4-wheeler back up to the cabin. 
My favorite part was the last night we were there. Each of us had a small battery powered candle. We sat in a large circle and shared our memories of Dad. As a person shared their memory their candle was 'lit'. Soon all the candles were lit and we basked in the glow of our love for Dad/Grandpa. Oh, how we miss him!
We talked about renting the cabin every year near Dad's birthday, but its pretty expensive so I don't know if that will happen.
This is the little 'lake' where the paddleboats are used.

looking down off the deck at everyone having fun outside.

It was just a bit too late for good fall color, rats. It was very cold up there too and we had to keep a fire burning in the stove at all times in order to be warm. Thankfully there was lots of wood ready to burn and lots of blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment