Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Sweet summer

There are just some things that go with summer;
-BBQ
-fireworks
-swimming/running thorough sprinklers
-icy cold beverages(I used to love soda pop but my favorite now is good old water)
-s'mores/toasting marshmallows
-camping
-family vacations
-gardens
-county fair
-night games
-watermelon

One thing that also belongs to summer is the juicy sweet flavor of a ripe strawberry. We love freezer strawberry jam here and we have not had any for at least five years. I know it's been that long because I haven't made any since we moved here! 
So when strawberries went on sale a week or two ago we snagged some for jam making. The kids and I ended making 8 batches of jam. 
Oh! How we missed it! And oh! How we have pigged out on it! We've probably already eaten through 2 batches. 
It truly is summer in a jar!

2 comments:

  1. How about sharing your recipe. I have never made freezer jam before, yet I think it is simple enough even for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Julie, it's super easy. If you buy a box of pectin, canning aisle usually, there's an instruction sheet inside. All brands of pectin have their own recipes and will tell you on the package how much fruit you need. And sugar, corn syrup and lemon juice are usually required as well. Then it's just a matter of smoothing those berries, adding the other ingredients at the right time and putting it in freezer safe containers. I love it because it keeps its bright red color and is a softer consistency than cooked jam.
      (I used MCP pectin)

      Delete