Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Help!


I'm trying to choose a way to paint my kitchen cabinets so I can live with them for a few more years without wanting to scream everytime I see them. They have been white with red knobs for about 10 years and it's time for an update. We were hoping to replace them, but with the job sitch that's not going to happen for a while. (See the above picture for the current kitchen. The plywood in the floor will be covered with an island at some future point as well, as we can afford to purchase the cabinets.)
What I really want to do is paint the lower cabinets either espresso(really dark brown, almost black) or black and do the upper cabs in an oatmeal color with some glazing. I've also thought about adding some trim to the doors, since they are just flat.
I could just repaint them in white and get new hardware, but they get so dang dirty all the time. I am wanting to do something that hides fingerprints and crud a bit better.
What do you think???? Will it look goofy to have our old white appliances in a black/cream kitchen until we can get the stainless ones we are planning on?
**edited to add the stupid blogger won't let me add spaces or indent my paragraphs for easier reading. Stupid blogger!**

5 comments:

  1. OKAY, here are my thoughts (which unfortunately-or not- always keep the budget, or lack of it, in mind).
    I haven't seen the rest of your house to know what your style is, but I would say that the easiest (and cheapest) way to update them would be to change out the hardware, hands down. Painting them would be great, but I wouldn't do anything too dark before the lighter appliances go...they'll stand out and be a constant reminder that you can't replace them right NOW. At least if you are anything like me ;) So maybe a creme? OR....
    I know you didn't mention it, but if you changed the wall color to something a bit richer/darker, it would give you more contrast between the cabinets and the wall color, making them look more fresh and filling your desire for more interest. And then when you get your island, IT could be a dark color, which I think would look fabulous. Make sense?

    Oh, and something to think about (with a bunch o' kids), although molding looks great on cabinets, it also "collects" all the spilled koolaid, sticky syrup drips, etc. in the grooves. Not that my kids don't clean after themselves or anything ;)

    Did that help or make it worse?? HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kassie- if it were me, I think I would paint them the oatmeal color with glazing. Then the white appliances wouldn't stand out as much. Plus the glazing should help with the dirt not showing as much. Then you could always go dark on the island when you do that.

    PS. I did see someone who painted their appliances the hammered steel look- if you were really ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends for your input. It has given me much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Kassie - I'm clueless. I'm not very remodling savvy. If Redbeard were here I'd ask his opinion, but he's at Girls Camp. :P

    Good luck - I'm sure whatever you choose, it will look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would do what you want. I don't think the appliances will look so bad IF they are all the same. If you had a dark one and a white one....that would be a bit challenging. I like the dark brown and oatmeal idea. Don't know anything about glazes though.

    ReplyDelete