Thursday, August 16, 2007

Harvest time...

Things are starting to crank out in our garden. This was truly just an experimental year for us, we planted things we've never planted before. We enjoyed the fresh peas and absolutely LOVED the fresh lettuce but those have been gone for a while now and I've been watering the corn, potatoes, tomatoes, beans and cukes.
My corn is all dried up. Not sure if I over- or underwatered it. It just turned reddish brown and is crispy dry. It has been hot here.
Everything else is starting to produce and I'm trying really hard to fight that 'Just let it go' attitude I usually have about this time every year. I love preparing for and planting a garden. Love to water and weed when my plants are small and just getting going, but for some reason, as the year wears on and the plants get bigger and more unruly looking, and it gets HOTTER, my love for gardening wanes. Usually by late Aug and Sept, I just quit watering or even setting foot out there. I'm just DONE with it. So, I'm fighting it this year, because of my goal to learn to garden better and can/preserve what we grow.

I have done one large batch of tomatoes, making salsa and spaghetti sauce out of them. But I just picked another bucketfull this morning and I'm wondering what to do with these. More salsa would be the best option I guess.

We didn't plant enough green bean plants to be useful. There are not enough ripe at the same time to bottle them. I may just pick for a few days, then blanch and freeze them. It might be enough for one meal.

I found some lovely strawberries for 3.99 a flat, so I bought two flats and we did 5 batches of freezer jam. It's been eons since we last did jam and everyone was very excited to have some in our freezer again.

We do have one pumpkin on our vine also. I guess since Sadie planted the seed it will be her pumpkin for Halloween.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had a garden! My vote is for salsa.
    I really want to make some strawberry freezer jam. it's my favorite and we've eaten all I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardens are a lot of work but so worth it. There is something special about getting soil on your hands. It must be the feelings of being closer to our Maker.

    ReplyDelete